We are so excited to welcome a wild n’ wonderful new event to the Wonderland Running family of races: The Wandering Idiot Festival of Hills 6, 12, and 24 Hour Trail Races!!!!
Registration is now open on Ultrasignup!
Hills x N, where N = the number of hills.
Taking place on a stunningly beautiful 5,000-acre Coast Range wildscape preserve and farm animal sanctuary in Northern California, The Wandering Idiot is truly like no other race you will ever run.
Nestled beneath Snow Mountain Wilderness and Mendocino National Forest, you will run through pristine wildscapes with ancient oaks, seldom-visited valleys, and vast, breathtaking views. The course features an 8½-mile loop with almost 2,000 feet of vert... because it’s a Festival of Hills!! Each loop begins and ends at a spacious, fully equipped hall with showers, restrooms, food, drink, and comfortable sleeping facilities.
The festivities before, during, and after the race will dazzle the senses and stir the soul. There will be costumes, light tunnels, music, fire dancers, and mysterious goings-on that can only be experienced, not explained.
Your registration includes unlimited camping, a full pre-race dinner, fully stocked aid stations, showers, delightful finishers awards, aerial acrobats, and other things that are, well... much harder to explain.
There will be cash prizes for the best costume, and the best mystery achievement! Oh, and there will also be cash prizes for the top female and male finishers!
We hope to see you this October in what promises to be one of the most beautiful, unique, festive, and memorable races you will ever run!
Ancestral lands of the Nomlaki and Patwin peoples.
HERE IS THE OUTLINE OF EVENTS FOR THE WANDERING IDIOT FESTIVAL OF HILLS:
Friday, October 2, 2020:
- 1:00 PM: The ranch and camping opens for runners and crew
- 2:30 PM: Runner check-in & race packet pick-up begins
- 6:30 PM: Race overview & a PowerPoint presentation about stuff
- 7:30 PM: Dinner begins (taco bar!!!)
- 8:30 PM: Fire and Air Ceremony
- 10:30 PM: The Ranch Hall and Wandering Idiot Facilitators go night night... and maybe you should too!
Saturday, October 3, 2020:
- 6:00 AM: Ranch Hall is open, along with breakfast yummies and the costume photo booth!
- 7:45 AM: 24 Hour pre-race briefing
- 8:00 AM: The 24 Hour Race begins!
- 10:45 AM: 12 Hour pre-race briefing
- 11:00 AM: The 12 Hour Race begins!
- 1:45 PM: 6 Hour pre-race briefing
- 2:00 PM: The 6 Hour Race begins!
- 8:00 PM: Finish line cut-off for the 6 Hour Race
- 11:00 PM: Finish line cut-off for the 12 Hour Race
Sunday, October 4, 2020:
- 8:00 AM: Finish line cut-off for the 24 Hour Race
- 9:00 PM: Wandering Idiot Awards & Closing Ceremony
- 2:00 PM: Runners must be out of their campsites and departing
Best Costume Award:
- There will be a cash prize for the best costume! Go ahead and be as whimsical, wild, or weird as you wish! In order to qualify for the best costume prize, you must wear your costume while on course for a minimum of six (6) hours.
Mystery Achievement Award:
- There will be a cash prize for the best mystery achievement! The Mystery Achievement Award will be done by Wandering Idiot Facilitators via secret ballot upon the conclusion of all races. You will never be told why you won the award, though there is a decent chance you might know in your heart why you earned it.
Top Finishers Award:
- Are you one of the biggest idiots out there?? Well, we have just the award for you! There will be cash prizes for the top 3 female and top 3 male finishers of each race! You're fast... enough said!
- Anyone who completes at least one loop is a finisher... run, walk, dance, or crawl!! Yes, you are a finisher! Nice job, Wandering Idiot! All finishers will receive something you'll be proud to wear, and something else that you almost definitely don't want to wear. You're welcome.
As details are still being put into place, the exact amounts of the 2020 Wandering Idiot Festival Of Hills awards will be announced at a later date. Best wishes to all aspiring prize-getters from the Wandering Idiot Facilitators!
HERE ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT RULES FOR THE WANDERING IDIOT FESTIVAL OF HILLS:
- All runners must finish at least one loop in the time allotted for your event. If you do not, it will be considered a DNF.
- All runners finishing the same number of laps will place (be ranked) according to their finishing order among other runners finishing the same number of laps.
- No runners will be allowed to start a loop within one hour of their event's final finish cut-off time.
- Runners may use any aid, drop bags, or crew at the Ranch Hall or at their campsite. There will be no crew, pacers, or drop bags out on the course.
- The use of this private Ranch is a privilege. Please observe all rules of the Wandering Idiot Festival Of Hills, Wonderland Running, and the Ranch.
- DO NOT DISTURB OR APPROACH THE ANIMALS!!!
- You may NOT leave the course at any time during the race.
- When you are not on the course, you must stay either at the Ranch Hall or the Camping Area. Off limits areas will be provided via map to registered runners, and will be clearly marked on race weekend. PLEASE DO NOT WANDER OFF!
~ Sean Harrasser
~ Sean Harrasser (Wonderland Running)
Event Dates and Fees
|Event||6 hour race||12 hour race||24 hour race|
|Event Date||10/03/2020||10/03/2020||10/03 - 10/04/2020|
|Fee Before 3/15/2020||$65.93||$131.86||$263.72|
|Fee After 3/15/2020||$90.93||$156.86||$288.72|
|Fee After 6/1/2020||$140.93||$206.86||$338.72|
Getting to the Start/Finish Line
The directions here are to Elk Creek, which is the nearest community to the Ranch on which the Wandering Idiot Festival of Hills will take place. This is close enough to the Ranch that you can properly plan your travels.
We are grateful for the privilege of using this private farm animal sanctuary and Coast Range foothills wildspace preserve for our event. Honoring that gratitude, the operation of the Ranch, and the privacy of those involved, we will be providing race-specific driving directions, gate access code, camping details, and a GPX file of the course directly to Wandering Idiot registrants about three weeks prior to the race.